Having a small hand axe as a part of your backpacking or camping gear is a great idea. Not only are you getting a lot better bang for your buck when compared to even a large knife, but you’re also saving your knives from a lot of touching up later. Halfbreed Blades has just released their newest CRA-02 Compact Rescue axe made from a single piece of K110 (D2) Tool Steel.
New CRA-02 Compact Rescue Axe from Halfbreed Blades
The CRA-02 (Compact Rescue Axe) from Halfbreed Blades, is an extremely compact, easy to reach cutting and impact tool, designed and built with no compromise in durability or performance. Made ready for extreme hard use, this multi-purpose tool is ideally suited for MOE, CQB, Rescue, and Survival roles and tasks.
The unique geometry and ergonomic contours of the CRA-02 allow greater flexibility to choke up high on the handle for more precise work like shaving and slicing, or for wielding powerful chopping stokes when adopting a lower grip. The handle scales are precision machined from G10 and feature a non-abrasive texture.
Despite its relatively compact size, the CRA-02 maintains a large cutting head for maximum surface contact and overall functionality. Opposing the sharpened primary edge is a faceted tanto spike, designed for low-range prying, penetration, and material destruction.
- One-piece full tang construction.
- Austrian made 8mm Bohler K110 (D2) tool steel. The entire tool is overbuilt for outstanding longevity.
- Proprietary heat treatment process enhances the resilience of K110 (D2) to shock, yielding exceptional performance.
- Easy to maintain razor-sharp cutting edge.
- Hard-wearing, low friction Teflon coating mitigates glare and protects against corrosion. Available in black, dark earth, and ranger green colour options.
- Faceted tanto spike and blade design are optimized for low range penetration and chopping tasks.
- US made G10 handle scales are ergonomically contoured for less abrasion with non-gloved hands.
- Bevelled edges. The entire perimeter of the handle and portions of the axe head controlled by direct contact with the hand are machine bevelled to reduce abrasion and increase comfort.
- Jimping at key points along the grip enhances handling characteristics.
- Handle scales are secured by steel torx fittings.
- Crusher pommel ideally suited for breaking glass and other hammering tasks.
- Pommel lanyard hole allows for paracord attachment.
- US made Kydex. We believe the carry system supplied with our tools is as important as the tool it protects. Each sheath is precision molded for secure retention and easy maintenance. A friction lock system holds the axe snugly in its sheath, added retention is offered via a quick release safety strap with press-stud. All CRA-02 sheaths are PALS/MOLLE compatible and come supplied with two primary attachment options including Belt & PALS/MOLLE.
- To complete the package, the CRA-02 is presented in our signature foam lined presentation case complete with warranty statement, certificate of authenticity, specifications card, morale patch, and vinyl logo sticker.
I like both the design and aesthetic choices made by Halfbreed Blades for this new axe. The choice of Bohler K110 (D2) tool steel is also another great choice for such a compact piece as K110 steel boasts both high hardness and high wear resistance when compared to plain carbon steel as well as being near stainless.
Each CAR-02 Compact Rescue Axe will run you about $390 AUD and comes in either Black, Dark Earth or Ranger Green, which includes both the handle color and blade color.
New CRA-02 Compact Rescue Axe from Halfbreed BladesThe Firearm Blog is written by Luke C. for www.thefirearmblog.com